Who Was Edmond Hoyle?
Edmond Hoyle (1672–1769) was one of the first authors to write seriously about games. His "Short Treatise on the Game of Whist", published in 1742, was his first book. He was also responsible for codifying the games of Backgammon, Chess, and other games.
Today, the name of "Hoyle" is synonymous with playing games by the rules. The phrase "According To Hoyle" has come to signify full compliance with universally accepted rules and customs. The name of Hoyle has become a brand name for a large number of books and products, and in every case, it's meant to show that the games maintain the highest standards of accuracy, precision, and strict attention to the rules.
Books Written by Edmond Hoyle
- Short Treatise on the Game of Whist
- Short Treatise on the Game of Piquet
- Short Treatise on the Game of Brag
- Short Treatise on the Game of Quadrille
- Short Treatise on the Game of Back-Gammon
- Hoyle's Standard Games
- The Accurate Gamester's Companion
- Mr. Hoyle's Games of Whist, Quadrille, Piquet, Chess, and Backgammon, Complete
Learn More about Edmond Hoyle
- BookRags: Edmond Hoyle
A detailed biography of Edmond Hoyle, with detailed descriptions of his works.
- Encyclopedia Britannica: Edmond Hoyle
A short biography of Edmond Hoyle, from the Encyclopedia Britannica, including a list of his books and life.
- Google Books: Edmond Hoyle
Google Books has archive copies of many of Edmond Hoyle's works, as well as information on other books referencing him.
The home of the entire family of Hoyle games, including card games, board games, casino games, word games, kids games, and more.
- Wikipedia: Edmond Hoyle
An article on Edmond Hoyle, from the free online encyclopedia.