While there are a great many traditional card games, there are also a large number of retail (or commercial) card games. Some of these are reworkings of traditional games (often with themed artwork or new rules), while other are wholly new creations.
Some retail games have been around for generations, and become part of our shared heritage. Yet more new card games appear every year, hoping to make the leap from "good idea" to cultural phenomenon. Sadly, though many are worthy, few do.
Follow these links for some of the card game classics:
- Flinch – The first and greatest of all stockpile card games, Flinch has entertained millions of people since it was first published in 1905.
- Fluxx – Fluxx is "The Card Game with Ever-Changing Rules" ... no two game are ever the same!
- Mille Bornes – Mille Bornes is the classic card game of cross-country automobile racing through France.
- Monopoly Card Games – Take the best qualities of Monopoly and put them into a fast-playing card game and you an exciting new version of the world's most popular game.
- Phase 10 – Phase 10 is a family game that combines rummy with challenging and exciting twists.
- Pit – Pit, the classic card game of commodities trading, has been a family favorite since 1904!
- Rook – Rook iss much easier to play than Bridge, more fun than Pinochle, and more varied than Hearts.
- Rummikub – Rummikub is a game related to both playing cards & dominoes, using tiles that correspond to a deck of cards.
- Sequence – With touches of Canasta, Rummy, and Poker, this game has become a Friday-night favorite.
- Skip-Bo – A deceptively simple but endlessly entertaining card game classic for 2 to 6 players.
- Tripoley – Tripoley combines the challenge, suspense and fun of Hearts, Poker and Michigan Rummy into a thrilling, friendly game of chance and skill.
- UNO – UNO is one of the world's most popular family card games, with rules easy enough for kids, but challenging and exciting enough for all ages.
- Wizard – Wizard is hearts and whist with a twist. It's the 'ultimate trump game' and a great deal for the whole family.
And here are some current retail card games for your consideration:
7 Ate 9 Card Game
Arne Junior Card Game
Bankruptcy: The Card Game
Battle of the Sexes Card Game
Beer Money Card Game
Cavemen: The Quest for Fire
Curses! Of The Vampire
Farkle Flip Card Game
Farming Game Card Game
Flip For It
Flip Out Card Game
Flip Six Card Game
Fruit Ninja Card Game
Game Of Life: Adventures
Game Of Things
Gang of Four
Hit the Deck
In Limbo - The Card Game of Choosing Sides
Ka-Ching! Card Game
King Toad Card Game
Kings and Queens Rummy
Kings In The Corner
LCR Card Game
Lunch Money - Sticks and Stones
Lunch Money Card Game
Man Bites Dog
Martini, The Game
Mu and Lots More
Pepper Card Game
Pictionary Card Game
Pile It Card Game
Play Nine: The Card Game of Golf!
Po-Ke-No Board Game
Princess Bride - Storming the Castle
Quao, The Ultimate Dictatorship Card Game
Qwitch Card Game
Rack-O Card Game
Rock! Card Game
Scattergories - The Card Game
Scopa: The Great Italian Card Game
Scrabble Slam! Card Game
Six Pack Card Game
Slap 'n Grab
Smart Ass Card Game
Sorry Revenge Card Game
Spud! Card Game
Tetris: The Card Game
The Original Po-Ke-No
Ticket to Ride - The Card Game
Toss Your Cookies Card Game
Yahtzee Hands Down Card Game