The following traditional games are played with standard playing cards, with rules often handed down from generation to generation, with multiple variations.
The following are some of the most popular traditional card games:
- Bridge – Bridge has long been one of the most popular card games in the world, and because it's a partnership game, it's ideal for parties and gatherings.
- Canasta – Canasta is a member of the Rummy family of card games. It exploded onto the public consciousness in the 1950's, and has remained a popular game ever since.
- Cribbage – Cribbage is a two-player card game that can be learned quickly, but provides great opportunity for strategic and skillful play.
- Euchre – Euchre is a popular, fast-paced card game, most commonly played by four players, in partnerships of two.
- Hearts – Hearts is a popular trick-taking game, but be careful to avoid the dreaded 'Black Lady' (the Queen of Spades)!
- Pinochle – Pinochle is a popular card game that uses a special deck of 48 cards, and may be played as a two-handed, three-handed, or partnership game.
- Pitch – Pitch is a trick-taking card game popular in the United States, and is also known under such names as 'Setback', 'Shmear', and 'High-Low-Jack'.
- Poker – Poker is one of the best-known and most popular card games, played at home, in casinos, and on the Internet. Learn more about the game here!
- Rummy – Rummy is one of the world's best-known and most popular games, due in large part to its simplicity and elegance.
- Solitaire – Solitaire (or 'patience') is a genre of single-player card games that provide a great way to exercise your mind and relax, and is a beloved pastime for many people.
- Spades – Spades is a trick-taking card game for four players, playing as partners. The object is to win as many tricks as you can during each hand.
- Whist – Whist is a classic four-player, partnership, trick-taking card game of English origins, popular due to its simple rules yet great capacity for strategic play.
For non-traditional card games, check out our comprehensive list of Commercial Card Games.