The American Card Player
Courtesy of Archive.org and the Smithsonian Institution Libraries, here is an ebook called "The American Card Player".
Subtitled "Containing Clear and Comprehensive Directions For Playing The Games of Euchre, Whist, Bezique, All-Fours, Pitch, Commercial Pitch, French Fours, All Fives, Cassino, Cribbage, Straight and Draw Poker, and Whiskey Poker: Together With All The Laws Of Those Games", the book was compiled published by Dick & Fitzgerald in New York in 1866.
Curiously, the book shows no author, but the person who compiled the book is apparently William B. Dick, author of an amazing variety of works, including card games books such as Dick's Games of Patience or Solitaire with Cards, The American Hoyle: Or, Gentleman's Hand-Book of Games, Containing All the Games Played in the United States, With Rules, Descriptions, and Technicalities Adapted to the American Methods of Playing, Dick's Hand-Book Of Cribbage, and The Modern Pocket Hoyle: Containing All The Games Of Skill And Chance As Played In This Countery At The Present Time.
The book does have a lovely cover illustration:
The games covered in the book include:
- Whist -- Long Whist; Short Whist; Dumby, or Three-Handed Whist; Two-Handed Whist
- Euchre -- Two-Handed Euchre; Three-Handed Euchre; Set Back Euchre; Lap, Slam, Jambone, and Jamboree
- Cribbage -- Five Card Cribbage; Six Card Cribbage; Three-Handed Cribbage; Four-Handed Cribbage
- Bezique -- Bezique without a Trump; Bezique Penanche; Bezique Limited to a Fixed Point; Three-Handed Bezique; Four-Handed Bezique
- All-Fours -- Four-Handed All Fours; Pitch, or Blind All Fours; Commercial Pitch, or Auction All Fours; All-Fives; French Fours
- Poker -- Straight Poker; Draw Poker; Whiskey Poker; Stud Poker
The EPUB and Kindle versions of the book may be downloaded for free to your favorite ebook reader (such as the Amazon Kindle